WHY IS COACHING EFFECTIVE ?
- December 12, 2015
- Posted by: Reena Saxena
- Category: Thinking Maps
In one of the workshops I attended, I was given a deck of 75 cards, and asked to pull out one. The value mentioned on the card was supposed to give me the direction, that the universe wanted me to take for the day or hour. Closer inspection revealed that all 75 cards had positive values (like honesty, tact, understanding, compassion etc.) printed on them. All the 75 values put together may well constitute the essence of positivity in the world. It was a commendable effort to pull out one aspect of the good within us, and let it flow freely in the universe.
Pulling out a card every morning did not make the world an idyllic place. The universe was not returning the favours. I thought about all the positive values that I grew up with, and lived by, before setting my eyes on this deck of cards. I could sense a lot of black holes in the universe, that had swallowed up the energy. Did it return Something or Nothing ? What was it doing with all the positive, negative and neutral vibes that it was receiving for aeons ? Where was the Processor ?
Eureka! There was my answer. The micro-processor inside me was creating the miniscule universe around me. And there were innumerable micro-processors around me, which created different results with different interactions.
What was my micro-processor made of ?
- The values imbibed from the environment I grew up in.
- My experiments in application of those values, and the conclusions from those.
- Selective reinforcement of some values, which became beliefs, behavior patterns, attitude and then personality.
- The interaction with several personalities, each of which had gone through a similar, but unique process.
- The absence of a positive value, became a negative value. Hence, there were as many negative values as positive. Black is not a color. It is just the absence of reflection of light from the surface. White is the result of total reflection. All the colours that we perceive are created by selective absorption of light.
And also reflections and reactions to the outer world.
- The filters were the ratios that I experienced, which colored my view of the universe.
- The choices that I made created my social, professional, political and online circles. These circles undergo a constant churning, guided by the microprocessor inside me.
The innumerable microprocessors around me have created a very chaotic world. The problem lies in a total absence of real-time responses from the universe. If I see it quick enough, it reinforces the value. If I don’t , I replace it with something else.
The concept of Time has been a subject of research for long. Do the past, present and future co-exist ? I don’t care, and I can’t wait. I know that my life has a limited span, and I create my reality with the limited awareness that I have. The Universe has not equipped me with a larger processor. Hence, I create my own concepts and apply them in my unique way. All Philosophy and Religion is an effort to induce harmony for the perceived larger good, but at the cost of my own. Hence, it does not cut ice with me.
The solution for every problem thus, needs to be customized to suit my needs. And, this is where coaching scores over training and education. It does not preach, it does not teach. It gives you an insight into your own microprocessor, and helps you in realigning it to your micro-universe, to yield results that suits your needs.